Saturday, October 25, 2008

A Camping We Did Go

We took our first camping trip since we had children to Lake Ray Roberts, which is about an hour away. It was the ward campout and since I am not nursing or pregnant we thought we would try it again. Carter is two now, so how bad could it be? The kids loved the experience and were so excited to be there. Sam and I weren’t so excited for several reasons.

#1 We only car camp where you pull up to your spot and can throw all your gear out the car. We pulled up to our camp and had to hike in about a quarter of a mile. A quarter mile doesn’t seem like it is that far until you have to hull all your stuff including your kids.

#2 We got a great new tent that has a divider to separate the tent into two rooms. That sounds nice except that Renée and Carter ended up in the sleeping bags that Sam zipped together for the two of us. Carter never sleeps with us, but we were afraid he was going to wake up the whole campground. Then it was like sleeping with a wild animal. Sam and I didn’t get any sleep!

I thought I would have more numbers but the two together were pretty rough. We did enjoy sharing our site with the Thurmans. They got in late and brought a wagon, because I called and told them how horrible the campsite was. We had a great time sitting around the fire, making smores, and talking (after the kids went to bed). I guess we were a little loud because the park police came and told us to quiet down.

The next morning we made a great breakfast. I even made eggs over the fire. I guess those summers of girls camp came in handy. Will we go again? Probably, but we are going to bring Dymetapp for Carter.
























































































4 comments:

katierose said...

you are soooo brave. ohmygoodness...i can't even begin to imagine taking george camping! sorry you didn't get any sleep! at least you got some s'mores out of it :).

sweet mama entropy said...

I love camping. I've yet to try out whether I love camping with kids yet! What a brave lady you are :) It looks like you all had fun though (despite loss of sleep).

Susan Staus said...

Looks like a lot of fun! I don't think I'd like that hike to the camp site either.

Debby said...

Looks like fun. I remember going on a ward campout when the girls were 2 and 4. This brings back memories :-)