Friday, August 29, 2008

Kimball Art Museum

We went to the Kimball Art Museum to see the Impressionist Exhibit. It is on loan from The Chicago Art Institute. There were so many iconic images. My favorite of the evening was Paris Street; Rainy Day, 1877 by Gustave Caillebotte. It was so impressive to see in person because it was 83” by 108”. It was absolutely incredible to see it on that massive scale. The Bedroom, 1889 by Vincent Van Gogh is powerful to see. No one makes brush strokes like Van Gogh. Paul Cezanne has always been a favorite of mine since I saw the Cezanne show in Philadelphia. I was able to see The Basket of Apples 1893 in this exhibition. At the Moulin Rouge by Heri de Toulouse-Lautreac was interesting to see because about 6 inches on the bottom and right of the painting were removed and then latter restored to the painting. You can see the patch work and can imagine that the painting would be quite different without the green face. There were five Stacks of Wheat paintings by Monet. He created about 25 Wheat paintings but Chicago owns the largest group which was interesting to see and be able to compare them. I highly recommend visiting the Kimball before the exhibit closes on November 2nd.

So how did it go with three kids? Well they did great for about 45 minutes. Gavin and Renée listened to the audio tour that even had kid audio sections. Be brought a stroller for both Renée and Carter. Carter played with my cell phone and then my brush with a mirror. Then he started screaming. The docent led us out to a court yard where they keep screaming kids. After that Sam and I took turns seeing the rest of the exhibit. After we were finished looking at the art, we went outside and the kids played on the grounds. So, all in all, the kids did pretty well for an art museum.















3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is really cool that you got to go and see all those paintings. I bet Gavin and Rene`e didn't even realize they were climbing on "art" rocks.

Susan Staus said...

That sounds like fun!
This says that you posted on Friday, but I didn't see it until today. I know you post often, so I kept checking and nothing showed up until today.

Susan Staus said...

okay, so that makes sense if you change the date. But then it messes my thing up. I have my blog list set up so the newest posting is first. and that would explain why you have a new post but it's not at the top of my list.
You're dad's the bishop so of course his picture would be there from our ward picnic. Did you click on it to blow it up?