Monday, January 4, 2010

Milan, Italy

Our hotel in Milan is really nice. I think our room is bigger than our first apartment. We definitely have more counter space. The blinds close with a switch inside. I decided to take it easy in the hotel since nothing is open on Mondays and Sam was in class until noon. After Sam got out of class we visited the Duomo, which is the third largest church in the world. It is very different from the churches in Florence and Rome. It is filled with stain glass windows and the roof is covered with spires. We climbed to the roof terrace to get a better look at all the spires. It was like being in a forest of marble. I really am worn out from all this climbing. There is a beautiful shopping area called, Galleria Vittorio Emanuelee II, that has a glass dome over the center. It was built in 1865. Right now there is a giant mistletoe in the center that you can hold on to and when you kiss under it, it lights up to the ceiling. We also walked around the outdoor markets near the Duomo. I love outdoor markets. The only problem with them is Milan is that it is freezing cold here. After a few hours we had to go back to the hotel to warm up.
We did make it out in the evening again and walked around the garment district. They have all the big name designers like Versace, Gucci, Armani, and Valentino. I look pictures of some the window displays. I have never been into designer clothes because of the cost, but the clothes were really beautiful. It was hard to find a restaurant that was open. Most of Milan shuts down on Mondays, so after about 5pm, nothing was open. We did find a crepery, that wasn’t at all touristy. We chose our food based on the pictures and did okay. My dinner crepe had mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil and was very good.
It got cold really fast at night and we were freezing after going to the restaurant. Luckily Milan has a great Metro system, so getting around town is really easy and we don’t have to walk a ton like in Rome. I like Milan, there isn’t a ton to see but it is refreshingly orderly after being in chaotic Rome.












2 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow! Looks awesome! Wish I was there! I bet you are excited for Venice next!

Sharee said...

I CANNOT believe the pictures of the church and spires - they are positively breath taking - I am completely and wistfully jealous.